Our main goal for 2017, simplify our lives. Simplify it in every aspect. Our goal of simplifying our lives gives us the chance to focus on what truly matters, for us that means more quality family time.
Do you want to simplify but feel overwhelmed? Wondering where do you start when you look at all the chaos? Here are 10 easy ways to help you get started!
1) Remove the clutter. Removing even one unwanted item a day will lead to less stress, quicker clean up and a well kept home. Sell unwanted items for a boost in your savings or to pay off that unwanted debt.
2) Create a budget. Knowing where your money is going can help you finally reach your financial goals! We love using EveryDollar, a free budget service, for our budgeting needs. We have been closely following Dave Ramsey and his system was the perfect method for us to finally feel in control of our spending. Are you looking to save more? Pay off debt? Take a vacation without using your credit line? Remove unnecessary expenses. Find a way to side hustle for some extra cash! We cut our cable and now we are saving an extra $140 a month! Want to take simplifying your finances even further? Automate your bill payments to remove all the stress of organizing your bills/due dates.
3) Back away from social media and electronics. Spend more time enjoying life as it is happening in font of you instead of living it from behind your phone! Read, enjoy the outdoors, find a hobby… something that brings joy and doesn’t suck you into the negative social norm, temptation to spend etc. Unfollow Buy, Sell, Trade sites that you find yourself spending far too much time and money on.
4) Meal plan. Creating a meal plan and staying on track allows you to stay within your budget, waste less and gives your pantry purpose! Instead of buying a weeks worth of groceries only to feel overwhelmed and go out to dinner, plan. Crock pot meals are a great way to stay on track even with a busy schedule.
5) Become debt free. Debt can weigh you down and add unnecessary stress to your life. By removing debt you can truly enjoy the life you’ve been given! Imagine what you could do if you weren’t tied down to your debt?
6) Create goals. Set a vision of how you want to live your life. Write them down where you can see them each day. Studies show that written goals are accomplished, hold yourself accountable!
7) Ask yourself what you value in life. Life is too short to waste it on things, people or places that aren’t valuable to you. One of the biggest ways to simplify your spending/household items is to truly ask yourself with each purchase…. Does this item add value to my life?
8) Surround yourself with likeminded individuals. If you want to change its going to take work! Sometimes letting go is okay. Find people that can help you reach your goals, improving your life. If you are surrounded by over consumption, negativity and competition you will question yourself. Making positive changes takes hard work and dedication. You have to believe in yourself, follow the path you want to go down or you will fail. I have found that the people I’m blessed to have in my life hold me accountable, know my goals and won’t let me settle for mediocrity. They are working on themselves too and having that support system in a wonderful blessing.
9) Be kind. It’s very easy to get sucked into the negativity surrounding you. Choose to be happy, share that with others! You will feel much better if you simply change your mindset. Give to others, it fills your soul much more than consuming material items, wasting time on social media, online shopping and other temptations.
10) Enjoy the quiet. Take in the day. Simply pray, meditate, whatever you need to keep yourself grounded and on track for success. Life is too short to feel overwhelmed by stress and chaos each day.